Advertisement

Creating a Frequency Table for a wide range using Intervals

Creating a Frequency Table for a wide range using Intervals In this video you will learn to set up a frequency table when the range of the data set is large.
Transcript
Welcome to MooMooMath where we upload a new Math video everyday
In this video I would like to talk about setting up a frequency table in which you need to use intervals.
In this data set the range would be between 216 minus 20 and we have a range of 196
If we go up by ones or fives we will have too many groups.
We need to find a way to create equal intervals.
The rule of thumb with intervals is they cannot overlap, need to be equal, and be between the numbers.
A quick recap of interval rules.
Intervals should be equal, non-overlapping, and able to contain all of your data points.
Back to creating a frequency table.
If I want 5 intervals I will take the range and divide by 5
196 divided by 5 equals 39.2
I will round this to 40
Now I need to follow my interval rules and set each interval equal to forty
I going to start at the low and go up to 59 and my next interval will start at 60
If you would like I could go from 20 to 60 and start at 61.
It doesn't matter.
In order to finish this out go from 60 to 99 and each one goes up by 39 with no overlap.
Next will be 100 to 139
140-179 and finally 180 to 219
Recap, I took the range and divided by 5 which equaled 39.2 which I rounded to 40.
I could have gone from 20 to 60 then 61 to 100.
Also notice that it goes from the low of 20 to 219 so each number is in the the range.
I will now go through and make a tally.
I take 20 and make a tally.
I will put a tally for 20 and for 216.
I went ahead and stopped the camera and completed all of my tally marks.
Now to get my frequency all I do is total my tally marks.
I have 1 number between 20 and 59
For 60 to 99 I have 11
100-139 I have 9
For this interval I have 3
Finally for the last interval I have 2.
That is how you set up a frequency table using intervals.
when your range of data is wide.
Thanks for watching MooMooMath uploads a new Math video everyday.

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-
Please watch: "Study Skills Teacher's Secret Guide to your Best Grades"

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-

frequency table,data set,math,numbers,statistics,range,moomoomath,6th grade math,middle school math,

Post a Comment

0 Comments