Advertisement

Critique is Necessary, Negativity is Not

Critique is Necessary, Negativity is Not Hey, viewers! This video is a kind of response to Thorn Mooney's "Good Vibes Only" video, but rather than responding to every individual thing said in that video, this video is more to continue the conversation and add some more thoughts. This was the first time I've ever really struggled to decide on a video title, and I came up with this one, "Critique is Necessary, Negativity is Not" by mirroring a quote I like that has been said in many ways by different people. (So many people change one word and attribute it to someone else, I don't even know the original wording or who said it, at this point...!) But it's always something like "Change is inevitable, struggle [or growth] is an option." In this case, critiquing things is necessary in order to help things improve, but "just being negative" is not required. That is not the only way to be critical! I hope you enjoy the video. =)

You should definitely watch Thorn's video here, if you haven't:
"Good Vibes Only: Being Critical in a Movement that Requires Positivity"


-----
Timestamps for this video!
-----
0:00 Introduction
1:43 Content note/warning (just in case)
3:31 Getting into it - Criticism vs. Negativity
{5:28 - 5:59 Negative self-talk, with some examples}
6:30 Constructive criticism
7:15 Helpful vs unhelpful feedback - "It was good; I liked it!"
11:30 Criticism of content, & feedback forms
12:52 Being self-critical in a constructive way
15:07 Changing views over time (feedback on old videos, not thinking the same things years later, and how to address that)
19:33 Self-improvement in my videos (and other work)
20:36 Mental Health - being told we shouldn't talk about it, because that's "being negative"
25:22 Effectively silencing people by telling them they can't talk about personal struggles
27:23 PaganPerspective video topic we did--writing out negative feelings in order to process, and being told that lead to an accidental curse (Link to my video on that, below)
28:43 Counseling/therapy & magickal releasing - if we can't channel, process, or release negative energy in constructive ways, what are we supposed to do?
33:12 I'm on Team Processing.
34:28 When we're not critical, things go unchecked.
38:17 Why we're afraid to call out bad resources.
39:08 Starting the conversation - We need to be able to talk about issues in order to improve.
42:12 Re-cap / take-aways
43:00 Side note: Sometimes educating blows up in our faces.
45:16 Back to the re-cap.
45:38 Bye!

---

At 27:23 I talk about a PaganPerspective topic we had last year, where someone asked about processing negative emotions by writing it out (like journaling) and being told that doing so had negative magickal effects. Check out my video on that topic here:
"Accidental Cursing?"

---

My name is Cara (CAR-uh). My pronouns are she/they.

If you love my videos and the work I do online, consider sponsoring my videos on Patreon! For $1 or more per month, you help support me, and get access to various exclusive videos, posts, and more that only Patrons get to see! Check it out at

If you're looking for handmade, mindfully crafted magickal items, I make jewelry and other things. See what's currently available at my Etsy shop here:

If you prefer to read my musings, head over to the blog, where you'll also find my FAQ page, Readings offerings page, and more:

MY READINGS PAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED! YAYY!


You can also find me on Facebook and Instagram!



---

cutewitch772,criticism,constructive criticism,helpful feedback,feedback,growth,change,paganism,neopaganism,witchcraft,wicca,pagan,witch,community,education,resources,pagan teachers,

Post a Comment

0 Comments