Advertisement

Quantify Forces in interaction

Quantify Forces in interaction This plastic container is filled with water. To move it to the right, I need to apply some force. I can introduce rubber band in between. Its length increases as I pull with more force. Even if I apply some force, it is not moving. Container is also pulling me in the opposite direction.

Forces are the result of an interaction between objects. I am pulling the container. When one force acts there's an equal and opposite force acting against it. We can say that forces are balanced.

How can we visualize equal nature of forces ? In this activity, we will try to quantify the force. We will use ruler, wooden strip and rubber band for the activity.

Ruler is attached to wooden strip. Rubber band is placed around a screw. Rubber Bands are connected with bent wire. Ruler helps us to find out how much rubber band is stretched. Let me pull the ruler on the right side. What do you observe ? Both rubber bands are equally stretched. Let me pull the ruler on left side. They are equally stretched. For small distances as well as large distances. Same is true when I pull both the rulers. We can say that forces are equal and opposite in direction. You can also use thread instead of bent wire. Spring balance measures the force applied in Newton. If we don’t have spring balance, we can quantify the force applied with the help of rubber bands.

Do try this with syringe instead of rulers.

Thank You.





Music

Italian Afternoon - TwinMusicom

Textbook,science,DIY,Everyday,forces are equal,equal and opposite forces,

Post a Comment

0 Comments